Sunday, July 26, 2009

Church


I have decided that every Sunday I am going to post a biblical lesson that I have learned in life or listened to while at church.

First off, I must say I am human, subject to fleshly desires, and worldly sins, but I am first a child of God and I strive to live a Christian lifestyle. I write to share and hopefully touch someone else.


THE WORD

Today at Passage, Pastor Dix introduced Matthew 28:18-20, a verse you have heard at least once in your life: The Great Commission. He broke down the purpose we all share into three parts all starting with the verb Go...

[1] Go into the world and teach. Greek translation for teach in this line is "to make disciples." As Christians we assume our purpose is to make coverts, go to church, and praise God, but our duties are more extensive. We should not only make converts, but make disciples. Teach the Gospel and continue to fellowship with God's people--those in the church and most importantly out of the church.

[2] Go baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. You do not have to wait until you die to go to the kingdom of God. It is not a place, but rather a way of living. Show those around you and those afar that God is able and he is able NOW!

[3] Go teach them what God has taught you so they can live Godly lives. Greek translation for teach in this line is "to instruct."

And the promise from God is that He will be with you even until the end of time.


MY REMARKS

Listening to this sermon today, it did not hit me until later that we have work to do. It is common to ponder your existence and because we do not get an immediate answer, sit down and wait. Instead, in the meantime, fulfill God's will and you will soon find your purpose.

I knew I wanted to be an engineer since the beginning of high school. Influenced by my brother and uncle, Dr. Father Gerard Jean-Juste (google him!), I took it to be my calling. Finally seeing what I got myself into, there were times when I thought to myself why am I doing this? The odds are against me anyway--minority, woman, black, and engineer? But I stuck through it and I am grateful I did because now I see the purpose that God put me here. It is not for my glory but His; however, in the process of following His plan for me I will live abundantly and blessed. Me studying electrical engineering will bring blessings upon many: the little girls I inspire, the impoverished countries I will help, the new perspective I will instill for Black women engineers. There are so many blessings coming out of my struggle and it is not only for me but for the world to also share.
So in return, I will evangelize. I will make disciples. I will baptize those in the name of the Lord. For His glory and for my happiness...

No comments:

Post a Comment